Catamaran Tiki 26 – New Lifestyle

I hadn’t truly developed an interest in
sailboats until I was a young adult. Then they enthralled me. I then for years and years followed the novelties, Attended nautical fairs, read literature
and finally decided to build my own 26 foot long catamaran. At the time I hadn’t really anticipated
what a catamaran would bring to my life. It has been years since then. Encountering a constantly present care
for the boat, it was initially difficult and very distracting. It took me a long time to accept it as
something I needed to take for granted and as a daily occurence. When I first sailed to the south, I wasn’t worried at all. There were so
many new things, places and people rushing past me. Events succeeded with such speed and
density it never occured to me to consider what would wait for me upon my
return. It was too far away in the future Only as i was returning I really
considered the thought, where to store the boat for the winter. I ended my voyage in a shipyard in
Izola, where they lifted the catamaran out of the water. It spent the winter on dry land, behind
a fence in a secure place. I slept easily that winter and consequently had an
empty wallet. Something had to change. Next year the catamaran spend the
winter being taken apart at a top of a hill about 5 kilometers away from the
sea. A lot of leaves fell from trees on it in autumn. The damage from it
being transported twice and due to tree leaves that were on the deck the entire winter was so big, that we needed to paint the catamaran. At that time I realized that the
catamaran suffers the least damage if it spends the winter in water. Since the
ports in the northern part of the Adriatic are extremely expensive (the cost
for our catamaran is 5,000 Euros per year), I went around it and found a cheaper
quay. Such where I need to take care of everything by myself. This was a new dimension of worry in my
head. I constantly monitored weather forecast. Every time there was a storm in
the Gulf of Trieste, I sat in my car and drove 170 kilometres
away to my catamaran. Mostly I didn’t need to do so, because everything was
alright. But something unexpected did happen. Once, one of the four ropes became
loose and the catamaran impaled on a pole. I found it at low tide with one
hull raised high above water. There wasn’t much damage, just a few scratches. I waited for the high tide and moored it securely again. In spring when the water became warmer, I removed the unfortunate pole. I sawed it away at the bottom. Once, there was a very strong north wind
of 110 knots per hour and it blew off the front cover of the right
hull. I made a new one, because I couldn’t locate the old one. Now the catamaran has been at the same
port for 10 years. In this time I have met people who live there. And we became friends with the other captains of small boats. I now don’t drive down to the coast at every storm. If there is a problem, the phone rings. It’s that simple. Even if I don’t go down for a whole
winter I definitely go in the spring time. If nothing else, it has to be checked it
if any water has been blown into the hulls or under the cover. Everything needs
to be carefully wiped and dried out. If you leave water in a covered space unattended in the spring time when the sun is gaining strength, you will be surprised
by a lot of mould in the cabins at your next visit. Sometimes the wind blows in water no
matter the obstacle. This happened now. The hulls contained about a deciliter or two of water and the cockpit, under the cover, where the anchor is stored, contained
almost 10 liters. Under the lid? How could this be possible?


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *